Sunday, January 11, 2009

Knowing What You Are Eating

A couple of women from my church have started organizing and offering different events to help re-introduce the skills of homemaking that used to be commonplace. Yesterday was our bread-making event.

When I found out that 14 people had signed up, I was surprised. I said to my husband, "That shows there is an interest and a need in these things."

So even though the weather wasn't the best--albeit cooperative in the form of a lull in the storm--a number of us had fun baking bread!

Did you know that once wheat is ground into flour, it only has 72 hours before it is no longer good, if it is kept at room temperature? But if you store the flour in the refrigerator or freezer, it will keep its nutritional value more effectively.

Did you know that there are different kinds of wheat--spring, winter, red, white--and that one type of wheat does better for one type of baked good than another?

I am reminded of the saying that "knowledge is power." Having this kind of information empowers a person to make more knowledgeable choices about the food he or she eats. With all the health issues that people face today, wouldn't it be wiser to know what exactly we are eating, what benefits it has (or even if it has none), and what effect it has on our bodies?

I am reminded of another saying, one from the Bible: "My people perish for lack of knowledge." That's the opposite of the saying that "what we don't know won't hurt us." Hmm. I think I pick what God says.

He knows more.

Till next time,
Jeanette

No comments: