Monday, February 16, 2009

Fishing for Flashlights

After telling stories about my children the other night at a women's group, I felt a little guilty. But then the next morning my 6-year-old did something that was so humorous, I didn't feel guilty anymore.

JD is in an exploring stage. Granted, this is the stage 2-year-olds go through. So it's good that he's going through this stage, BUT!

He likes to play with flashlights. I saw him walking through the kitchen with the flashlight and didn't think much of it. Until he went into the back bathroom and I heard a "kerplunk" and a splash. Yikes! "John David!" I went running back there. He looked up at me with a mischievous little grin and I looked down into the toilet to see the flashlight looking back up at me sadly as bubbles rose up and burst on the surface. Glug, glug, glug... Aagh! I fished the flashlight out, dumped out the batteries, poured out the water (it was clean, fortunately!!), and said, all the while trying not to laugh, "John David! You don't put flashlights in the toilet!"

Tee hee hee! He ran off. I thought, This kid knows exactly what he is doing.

I didn't think much more of it till I went upstairs to use the bathroom up there. I lifted the lid and aagggh! My little book light floated in the water, looking forlorn and waterlogged. It was in pieces, and the three little batteries were on the bottom....waaaay on the bottom. I had to put on a rubber glove to fish all the pieces out. All the while trying not to laugh. "John David!!!"

So. This may not seem funny to you, but when you have a child who is coming out of something like autism, this is GREAT!

I always can get another flashlight. I'll just have to hide it.

Till next time,
Jeanette

No comments: