Monday, August 25, 2008

Going for the Gold

I wanted to quit the first day.

But I said to myself, "Jeanette, just stick with it. You can do this! You have to do it!"

It was messy. But I persevered.

And then...it happened. My three-year-old got the concept, and now she pees in the potty!

I had been procrastinating potty training. For some reason, I was hoping that she would just pick up on the whole idea and do it herself.

Nothing doing.

So after some tips from a friend, I made up my mind that it was going to happen.

And I really wanted to quit that first day. Scrubbing the carpet all day did not do much for my mood.

But, I kept at it. The second day, I only scrubbed the carpet twice.

The third day, she got it.

"More pee! More pee!" she cries, running to Mommy. So we run to the little wooden potty chair I got out of the attic from my parents' house, and she does her thing. "I did it! I did it!" she proclaims afterwards.

Very cute. Very gratifying.

I have noticed that this type of change tends to takes place when I decide to do it and not quit. It takes that kind of determined decision to follow through and complete a hard task. A good lesson to learn.

I'm going to need it, for now we move on to the "second half" of potty training!

Till next time,
Jeanette

No comments: