Friday, July 18, 2008

The Dawn of Communication

Five minutes ago I was ecstatic and just had to tell someone...

Our son (age 5) was diagnosed on the autistic spectrum at age 2 1/2 and has been nonverbal this whole time. BUT, that is changing! He has been saying approximations of words that are starting to make sense to us. Just two days ago he touched a door and said "door." Today I was pouring milk for my daughter and he said "milk." And just this evening, five minutes ago, it dawned on me that he was saying a sentence. What I heard was, "I...bee...peevee." After a few minutes of interaction, I got it. "Oh! You want the computer. 'I want computer,' is what you are saying!" He said a sentence!!

And now he is playing a new program I put on the computer today just for him. A great reward.

Even though it is 9:30 p.m. and he should be asleep.

Oh well.

I'm happy that we are beginning to understand some communication!

So I just had to tell someone.

Praise God! Thank You!

Till next time,
Jeanette

No comments: